Feb 6, 2011

Conversations with DD...

Dear Emmy posted about a conversation she and her daughter had the other day.. It came hot on the heels of a rather interesting one I had with DD..
One day last week, after picking her up from the sitter, she was sort of quiet.. I asked what she was thinking about..
She looked at me and said, 'Do you think Justin Bieber is gay?'
I have to admit, I was a little taken back by the question. We live in the sticks, north of the boondocks.. The kids here are not nearly as savvy or worldly as the kids back home. I see that every time we go home and DD plays with kids there.. She's learned to hold her own, but you can see difference..
I asked her if she knew what being gay was.. She replied, it's when a boy wants to kiss another boy and not a girl.. Okay, she's got the basics.. Then I asked why she asked the question..
She said that some kids were arguing about it at school.. I asked why they were arguing.. She said that a girl at school was crazy about him and said she loved him. Then another said to give it up, he's gay.. Then, apparently, the argument was on..
We then launched into a discussion on why it was relevant to them.. It's not like his music is going to be any better (or worse) if he were or weren't.. What would it matter?
She said it didn't matter to her.. She didn't really like his songs because he sounds like a girl..
((Back story - When she was just past 2 and not even potty-trained yet, she would stop whatever she was doing and dance if Toby Keith sang anything. I, not a country music fan, bought one of his CD's just to see her do this! Since then, guy singers with deep voices have been her favorites.))
I asked what if she did like his songs? Would it matter to her then? She said no, then kind of laughed and said it wasn't like SHE was gonna kiss him.. Then, this thought brought on a bout of the giggles..
In the end, she talked about it like it was just a thing.. Like if you had blue eyes or funny looking feet.. It was just a thing, and not a really big thing at that..

Just then, CD's head exploded somewhere.. :-)~

4 comments:

13messages said...

She's a cool one. Thanks for sharing that.

Just me... said...

13 - She's a surprising child.. Half the time I think she's too immature for her age.. Other times, she's terribly insightful.. Thanks! :):)

Emmy said...

Someone has taught her well.
Great job, mom!
:)

Just me... said...

Emmy - Thanks.. :):)