Feb 9, 2011

Weight Watchers and Just Me...

Weight Watchers (henceforth known as WW)...
This program works.. But only if you write down exactly what & how much you eat and actually read what you write down..
People say you need will power to do this.. I think you just need to be honest with yourself.. I could fudge and write down 'about' what I 'think' is the amount.. But until you are willing to truly look at the food you eat and the quantity, it will never work..
I mention quantity for one reason only. Have you looked at the portion sizes offered these days? Even in so-called healthy food (health food stores are some of the worst, by the way), the portions offered are twice, thrice or even more than the recommended serving size.
Every day for lunch during the week it seems like I'm going somewhere to eat.. I have trained up the wait staff at my favorite places. They now know if I order the grilled chicken salad (a particular fav of mine) that I don't want cheese, croutons or bacon.. (Bacon , really? On a grilled chicken salad? Why not just have a burger instead? But, I digress) And alwaysalwaysalways get dressing on the side.. I still eat the regular dressing.. I just dip my fork in the dressing then stab the salad.. Reduces dressing consumption d-r-a-s-t-i-c-a-l-l-y! Like from the half of a cup they pour on to less than a couple of tablespoons.. And your eating the 'good stuff' so it's not like you feel like you're being deprived by having awful diet dressing or just vinegar. (Yes, I know there are those who purport to 'love' vinegar on their salads. I just don't believe them. LOL)
Now, there are only four places where I usually eat during the week, but the point is that I eat out, at lunch, every day.. So, you can do WW without hauling around little containers of food!! You just can't have a steak or a huge burger every day! But, isn't that the reason you're at WW to begin with? You've decided that your eating habits have caused you to plump up and you need to change them....
Anyway, if you follow the rules of WW, you'll lose weight. Period. You may not lose it fast (which is good as when you lose it fast, you gain it back fast because you didn't learn how to eat). You may not lose weight every week (this part is more for women than guys).. But, over the life of the program, you will lose weight..
Even if you have to drag your sorry ass out of a nice warm bed every morning at 5am and crawl onto an elliptical to get your exercise in before your day begins (because doing it in the morning I'm 15 for 15; in the afternoon/evening, 2 for 6)...
So, yeah.. I'm a WW cheerleader. But then, I lost a huge amount of weight (over a couple of years and about 5 years ago) and have kept the vast majority of it off.. But, I stopped paying attention to everything and ended up picking up more than 30 pounds.. No one noticed. Sadly, as the old saying goes, I can carry it. But, I knew it and now I'm back to paying attention to all that I consume. And the results are good.. :):)

3 comments:

k bare said...

i'm happy for you.

and all of this...so true.
someone wrote once
that it is all about
making the right decisions when no one is looking

being honest with yourself.......not always easy

Grant said...

When I eat out, I bring along a couple of friends with unfair metabolisms so I can just take a few bites of the metric ton of food delivered, then I say "I couldn't eat any more - you guys finish this for me."

Just me... said...

k bare - It's the hardest thing to do.. Especially when you use food as a comfort (as I want to do).. But, I just keep reminding myself how nice it was to wedge my ass into the smaller jeans.. Now, on to the next (and smallest) pair!! :):)

Grant - Good plan!! Oh, how I wish I had the metabolism I did when I was 25... :):)