Jul 14, 2010

'Tis done..

Went yesterday to the lawyer's office.. He's a pretty even-keeled guy.. Never seen him react much to anything.. He's adorable but probably not demonstrative enough is certain areas.. But I digress..
Recounted to him the events of the last year.. He jotted down all the pertinent information as I talked.. When I got to the part about the reason behind the initial separation and CD's lack of contact, he stopped writing, looked up and said 'Seriously? Damn...'
Well, he finished taking down all the info, including my settlement requests.. So, I asked how it all worked.. I mean, after all, this is my first divorce.. He said he'd send CD a settlement letter to sign (if he agrees) and a day or so later he'd get notification from the court that a petition for dissolution of marriage had been filed.. If he signs both, they wait until the 60th day after the petition is filed and take the papers to the courthouse for the judge to sign.. And added "I think you are as close, right now, to being in a courtroom as you will ever be regarding this divorce."
Easy-Peasey-Blowyournose-Sneezey....
The secretary/paralegal called this morning to tell me that the papers were ready for me to come and sign.. When I told my brother this, he said 'don't sign until I talk with this lawyer'.. ('member, he's a lawyer too)
So, instead of signing first thing in the morning, I'll make him call in the morning and then go sign tomorrow afternoon..
And then, just wait.........

On another note, missing DD like crazy.. Didn't help that she had a little meltdown last night and called.. Crying.. 'Mommy, I want to come home. I miss you too much.'
It was all I could do not to cry (and get in the car to go get her).. We talked and talked.. Finally, she put on my gown (she took one with her to have something of mine) and went to bed.. You see, today is her birthday.. We had a party with her little friends here, last Saturday.. But now she's there and they are having a little party for her there.. And I'm missing it.. And it's making me sad to know I'm not there..
There..
I just want to be there..

3 comments:

Another Suburban Mom said...

I am glad that you are moving forward with your divorce. I hope the rest of it goes as smoothly as it began.

Osbasso said...

Good luck as the divorce progresses. Hope he doesn't decide to make it ugly for you....

Just me... said...

Thanks to the both of you for the good thoughts! :):)