Jul 26, 2010

Walking on Sunshine!!

Dreaded today like you wouldn't believe..
Even did something I don't do often (even tho' I have a 'scrip).. Xanax..
Arrived at lawyer's office early. He and I just recapped our previous meeting..
He had several other cases after mine (I was the only divorce, the rest were criminal)..
So, whilst he prepared for the other cases, I walked over to the courthouse..
Climbed the stairs to the second floor..
There he was.. CD..
I spoke the pleasantries first..
He half grunted his replies..
So, I asked if he wanted to talk about anything..
He said he was here mostly to get the child support paid through the court..
Okay, I say, did he want to talk about anything else?
He mumbled something about talking to DD on the phone..
I repeated the thing I said every time we've talked since last September. Call..
He said, 'you never said that.' I replied that I said that every time we had talked in the last 10 months.. He said, 'you never said for me to call DD.'
Oh, yeah.. I gotta tell you to call your daughter.. Right..
At this point he walked downstairs..
Fine, asshole.. I'm no longer keeping the peace so expect to be called on your BS..
Anyway, his lawyer shows up and they go into a room to talk.. Mine walks in about a minute later..
We chit chat.. He knows the whole story so it's just 'go time'..
Then CD's lawyer walks out. Then mine and his walk into a room to chat..
CD stays in the other room..
After a bit, the two lawyers emerge.. CD's goes into the room with CD and mine starts telling me that I get sole custody, the $ I asked for, CD will keep up the health insurance and will pay half of what insurance doesn't cover.. And he wants to be able to call her and maybe spend a day with her.. Also, concerned that I have money left from the sale of the house and has questions about my retirement account..
I laughed a bit and said that account has $123 and I would split my retirement account with him if he splits his with me.. If he wants to spend time alone with her, counseling. Period.. Otherwise, I'm good..
Then the two lawyers talk again..
CD still stays in that little room. (I swear, he was hiding)..
Lawyers emerge again, CD's walks by to go into the little room and mine just winks at me.. After the door closes to the little room, mine says we got it all.. Sole custody, $, insurance, half medical costs and he wants to call her.. Dropped any visitation, retirement accounts, bank accounts and nothing about the stuff the pre-nup covers.. Also told his lawyer, who told mine, that CD knew I was looking for a position back home and if I find one, he wouldn't 'stand in the way'... At that point, I wanted to scream, laugh, dance, hug the world!! I was freaking happy!!!!
So, we go into the courtroom, sit down, judge comes in, we jump up (as he was the first guy through the door) and sat back down.. CD's lawyer read all the stuff into the record, mine checking off his notes to make sure he said everything we had agreed to.. My lawyer noted that I no longer had the old car, that it went to salvage and I was driving my mother's car.. Officially, this is the fact.
Judge said, so noted.. Then, said the orders would be issued later in the day..
And that was it..
I looked at my lawyer and said "that's it?"
He said yes, that it had been read into the record and I didn't have to sign anything..
He then chit chatted a minute about my trip last week.. I answered dutifully and then said, 'is that really all?'
He laughed, said yes, and then said he had to stay for other hearings but to stop by the office later in the week to talk.. I smiled, said I would and then flew out of the courthouse!!
I was on Cloud Nine..
I swear, I don't remember walking out of the courthouse to the car!! :):):)
Did notice CD at the window where people pay fines and child support.. So, since it's supposed to start going through the court on the 30th of this month, I'm pretty sure I'm out of the last two weeks (over time he has run two weeks behind). The last one he sent was dated 7/8 and it was rec'd on 7/15...
SMALL PRICE TO PAY!!!!
He wants to pay through the court, let him pay..
It's going to be direct deposited into my account..
I don't even have to deal with his tacky checks.. (Whole other story)

So if nothing happens, on September 13th I am a free woman!!!!!!!

And I want to thank all of y'all!! You have been so very supportive.. It's meant more to me than you know.. More than I could ever explain.. Thank you!! :*)

6 comments:

Osbasso said...

Glad everything went so smoothly for you! (just wish it was so smooth for someone else we know...)

Joanna Cake said...

Phew, in the event the practicalities were all so easy. I can only pray that in a year's time my own divorce - without lawyers - will go as smoothly.

Well done! And Good Luck with the rest of your life x

Hubman said...

You can't see, but I'm doing a little happy dance for you!

MTL said...

Way to go Paige. This is the blog I have waited for.
Congrats and good riddance of him.
He can be someone elses problem now.

Just me... said...

Os - Thanks!! (Agreed!) :):)

Joanna - It is easier, initially, when they decide to just walk away. And I'm sure yours will be smooth too! Thanks!!
:)
Hubman - Oh, that's something I'd like to see!! Thank you!! :):)

MTBLaura - Thank you so much! Pity the one that 'someone else' now!! :):)

Sam said...

Woot! I am so happy and proud of you. I know this was hard. Good job!!