Nov 10, 2010

Hard Drives and (Possibly) Hard Decisions..

The hard drive in my laptop was rattling.. Well, it started rattling a little at the end of August.. Since I had Acronis software, ala Agnostic, I started making images of my computer, saving on my external hard drive.. Just in case..
Well, for my birthday, I got a hard drive via FedEx along with a promise to install it in October.. Being that our situation has changed somewhat, that promise was not able to be fully kept.. So, since the rattling was getting more and more pronounced, I told him it was time for me to take matters in my own hands.. He said he would talk me through it...
Two hours later, new image made, hard drive replaced and image re-installed.. The computer is working like a charm.. No more rattling.. Seems to be a little faster and more stable as well..
And opening up the back of a laptop is not as scary as you'd think.. :)
DD is still doing pretty good in school.. She had one 'oopsie' while I was traveling.. Every test she's taken since the new grading period she's made 100%.. Except one reading test.. 50%.. Well, when she fucks one up, she fucks it up right! :):) Anyway, I extracted the appropriate promises to do better and she's had to forfeit two weeks TV..
Very recently I got a texted 'blast from the past'... Many years ago, my dad took a kid under his wing.. It was a boy who was about 4 years older than me.. He was a 16 y/o high school drop out on the fast track to turning a wrench for the rest of his life.. Daddy encouraged him to help with the race car and, in the process, helped him get his head on straight.. While it took him until he was 47 to get his high school diploma, he was a millionaire by the time he was 30.. Also, he was married with two nearing pre-teen kids.. He was on the perimeter as far as I was concerned.. Someone to which you speak kindly should you see them, but not someone you would seek out.. Mostly, because I knew his wife was a raging whore.. She was, without his knowledge, sleeping around like crazy.. I even caught her bare-assed with some guy at her house one day.. I had stopped by to drop off some baby clothes my mom sent for their first baby.. I was just going to leave the clothes on the doorstep because no one was supposed to be there, both of them were at work.. Or so I thought.. Noticed that the door was open so I decided to drop the bag inside of the door, close it and then split.. Pushed the door open and there they were.. Her and some guy, naked as jaybirds, wrapped up on the couch.. She became indignant, I laughed (just nervous laughter because of my age, 16, and the situation but it pissed her off) and left..
After that, she made herself scarce, fearing that I was going to tell.. But I knew that no good would come from me telling him.. What did I want? To stir up trouble.. They had a kid less than a year old.. All of that was their business.. So, I kept my mouth shut, figuring that was the best thing for me to do.. A few months later, they moved away and fell off my radar.. On occasion I'd see them, or daddy would mention him.. But, for years, I didn't even think about him..
When daddy was so sick, I came realize how much he meant to Dad and how much Dad meant to him.. For simplicity, let's call him The Blond as he had tons of gorgeous blond hair when he was young.. By the way, he still has that gorgeous hair, just with a bit of silver mixed in that gold..
Anyway, after daddy died, he spent a good deal of time at mom's.. He had just gotten divorced and was a little at loose ends.. For the couple of weeks that I stayed there, he and I talked alot.. We were in serious mourning and it helped me to talk with someone other than mom or brother.. Of course, CD was zero help in that area..
We stayed in contact for a while.. Until I found out he was seeing his ex-wife.. I pretty much did the same thing as before.. I kept my mouth shut and figured she'd go the same route, keeping him busy elsewhere.. I didn't give it too much thought, just figured they had worked out or whatever.. He was just off radar.. Mom hadn't mentioned him (she LOVES him) other than to say she'd seen him here or there..
Yesterday, I got a text.. "Have you moved home yet?"
I was just lucky that I remembered his phone number..
We texted back and forth (yes - finally I'm divorced) until I said I had to help DD wash her hair.. He asked if he could call me.. Sure, feel free.. He asked if I would be able to talk in 15 minutes.. I said yes.. Exactly 15 minutes later the phone rang.. We talked for about about an hour.. He talked about his kids (34 and 31), his grandkids (4, all under the age of 6). I talked about DD and life in general.. Somewhere in the middle, he asked me out to dinner.. Honestly, I was surprised.. I guess I had him in the 'old friend' category.. I told him that I wouldn't be back home until Christmas.. He said that he was disappointed but he could wait until sometime the week after Christmas.. :)
Now, my dilemma is the Agnostic.. How do I handle that? What do I have to do? What don't I have to do? Hmm...

No comments: