May 2, 2011

Well, It's Still Raining...

I think we've had rain 15 out of the last 16 days, i.e. record rainfall. Almost 4 inches yesterday.. And I'm antsy.. I don't know if it's the rain.. I don't know if it's my new-found taste of freedom.. Even though I wasn't really, I think in my mind I was tied to the Agnostic.. Like I really wasn't single, officially for the last 6 months.. But I was.. And I am.. Now that he's becoming a distant memory, I feel as though I am looking forward again..

I think I would like this position for which I was approached (about 2 more weeks before I know anything). A change of view.. A change of atmosphere.. And if it sucks hugely, impetus for me to just break camp and move back home.. But, I think I need a change.. Funny, daddy always did call me gypsy.. I knew I could never a person who was born, lived and died in the same hamlet.. I've lived in the mountains, at the beach, in the city, in small towns and in the country.. They've all had their charms.. But, charms that wore off.. Part of me worries that I can't stay in one place too long.. But, I have been here for a dozen years.. So, maybe I can.. Or maybe I just need to travel alot.. :)

I had a long talk yesterday with my best friend in all the world.. If anyone in this world knows more about me, I'd be surprised.. I was bemoaning the saga of trying to 'date' at my age.. She was very supportive, making the 'hang in there' comments in appropriate places.. Then she floored me.. She said that it wasn't that 'there was no one to date, it's there is no one with which you can talk.' I was a more than a little taken back.. I always thought I could mostly carry my own in a conversation.. Oh, if it's something that might embarrass me or an entirely new situation, I may be a little reticent.. In general, I thought this wasn't one of my particular issues.. She laughed and said for me to 'listen to what you've said about most of the men you've been out with in the last few weeks.. They're boring.' 'So,' I said, 'they have been.' She laughed harder and said that 'they were boring to you, that they weren't quick enough or weren't well-rounded enough to discuss just anything.. They were probably all very nice guys, just not very open-minded or terribly clever.. Hence, they bore you.'
Shit.. She was right.. In all cases I thought, 'is this all you can talk about' and brought up a different topic.. And in all cases, they sailed back into their comfort zone of discussion.. Is there really someone out there who can discuss construction, world events, scientific discoveries, football and puberty?
Maybe I should just abandon finding someone to hang out with and just get laid... :-)~

No comments: